in progress - part 4 : the finale!

In stage 3 all hand embroidery was complete.

The faces were done on uncut fabric so I could use the hoop, so first up I trim these to size. All pieces are now ready to face the sewing machine.

Before stitching anything together I lay everything out to ensure nothing is missing and to figure out what is best to sew together first.

In this case I stitch down the pants, feet and hair first before stitching on some bright yellow buttons to the front of their braces.

Next up I stitch together the front and back pieces of their arms and ears which look a little something like this.

Now for the step I think is most exciting - stitching the main front and back pieces together with arms and ears also attached. I like this part because as you sew everything is inside out so you still, really aren't 100% sure how the end result will look until...

... surprise, you turn them the right way out and fill them with filling! Their heads aren't quite done here in the final pics but I think you will get the idea.

Both of these little guys now have new homes.

It has been fun sharing this little 'in progress' project and I would like to thank you for all the lovely comments. If I was to do something like this again I would do it in the summer months when there is more light for photography but I hope you have enjoyed following along as much as I have enjoyed sharing this with you all.


23 comments:

Kirsty said...

Absolutely beautiful Evie. I've loved this series! I love those little guys. You're one of the goodies.

Anonymous said...

Oh so this is what the moustasashed faces were for! I like things with character :)

hollie said...

these are beautiful! there is so much character and personality in their faces.

Bek said...

Yes I have enjoyed following along, and these guys have turned out great! (I love turning my softie the right way out too... so cool to see the little guy come together.)

Anonymous said...

I have popped over through Kirsty's post and soooo glad I did. your blog and your work is an inspiration! I love these little guys, thank you

............................................................... said...

These are wonderful!! I want one x

redmag said...

Those are awesome - it's lovely to see you create them...

Tania said...

It’s softie heaven around here, have much enjoyed poking my nose around your lovely blog!

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

they are so awesome I love them !!!

bex said...

they look really good! well done
x

becka said...

I love them! I love their faces!! Thank you so much for sharing this with us!

Debi van Zyl said...

these are so great! well done! looks like a lot of work.

teddybearswednesday said...

They are really gorgeous Evie!!

flossy-p said...

These little fella's are soooooo gorgeous! I feel privileged to watch them come to be. Thank-you for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

These guys are like the famous turkish folk dancing charachters :) you got there a little inspiration i guess. i like them though.

Noelia said...

I love your step by step, i should create a doll anytime soon!!! (And im gonna post ur link too)

Ohh i also posted about Alice! I cant wait for the movieeeeeeeeeee !!!

Anne said...

Thank you for sharing your design process!! I posted a link to your blog series on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/the-making-of-a-softie/2009/06/23/
--Anne

Danielle said...

These are gorgeous Evie! I especially love the patches on the blue ones bottom... so cute :)

Veja cecilia said...

very very nice, just great:)

Anonymous said...

i found you through kootoyoo, and boy am I glad I did! such a wonderful softie making process you have shared, and it does shed some light on some of the things in softie making that have puzzled me before.
Thanks for sharing!
and those softies are adohrable :)

Kristina said...

HAH! These are GORGEOUS!

becca jo said...

so so so cute!
a little tip from another softie sewer, if you clip the seams on their pants (the inside curved part) then they won't be so bowl-legged. i found that out through trial and error. obviously, you have to do it before stuffing though.

Juddie said...

Just. so. wonderful!!