pattern making

A while back I'd read the Julia Rothman, How To tutorial on pattern making in Mankind Mag: Issue 3. I'd been wondering how pattern tiling worked for some time and had never gotten around to investigating further, so when I had a quick spare moment yesterday I excitedly gave Julia's tutorial a go. To my surprise it worked! The excitement of seeing the quick scribble I'd made come to life as a tiled pattern was so super fun. Julia's instructions were very straightforward and easy to follow and I now can't wait to try something a little more considered.

I also think I have a clearer understanding of what the talented Cecilia is up to with all of those pieces of paper.

Following on from my last post I would like to thank My Charlie Girl for alerting me to another great exhibition in Melbourne called No Comply, opening next Friday at No Vacancy Gallery and featuring over 80 artists. No Comply continues in Sydney in December and Taipei in January 2009. Worth a look I say.

Also for those in Melbourne, if you want to check out My Charlie Girl live in action make your way to Dazzeland Studios, 25 Eastment Street, Northcote this Sunday, November 2 from 4pm. Flyer with more details here.

Apologies for the really bad photo... I just noticed the bottom right piece is upside-down, must have been from the excitement!

1 comment:

Kirsty said...

It looks wonderful!